Sunday, May 19, 2013

Alumni Saturday

May 18 2013 Well it was that time of year again. It was Alumni Saturday at Belfast Area High School. Always great to go back and play up on the field where I played when I was in High School. It's always interesting to see who comes back to play. My buddy Brandon Hurd and Jeff Mosher were there. This year there was 10 of us coming back. Which turned out good for me, that ment I got to play the whole game. Now I graduated in the year 2000 so, as always the batting order starts from oldest class to most recent. I was batting 5th this year. (In the past I have batted cleanup) Top of the first I took my position in right field. What do you know the first batter hit a flyball out to me in right. No problem. Other than a base hit it to me in the 6th inning that was all the action for me in tight. Now my friend Jeff (class of 91) who on the mound did pitch well. There were a couple of errors in the field behind him but he had good stuff. Now my first at bat. I opened up my stance a bit, it seemed to help I saw the ball pretty well coming out of the pitchers hand. I worked it to a 1-1 count. The next pitch I made real good contact. It looked like it was going to sneak through in between the shortstop and third baseman but the shortstop made a nice play and threw me out. My second at bat came in the 4th inning. First pitch was a strike I took a nice healthy cut but didn't make contact. Second pitch was a ball in the dirt. So again worked to a 1-1 count. I'm thinking to myself get geared up for the fastball. He went into his whined up. And smack! Not a hit but a hit by pitch on the side of my stomach! Ouch! Luckly there is a little more padding there now so it didn't hurt too bad. But hey I got on base! Next batter fellow class of 2000 alum Brandon Hurd lined a hit to right I advenced to 3rd and then scored on a sac fly. Not bad. At that point that run was the trying run. (4-4) The scored remained the same until the 6th when the Varsity scored three 2 out runs on a couple errors by the alumni. (Myself included in that, oh well) So my last at bat on the first pitch I grounded up the middle but the secondbaseman got it and threw me out. It looked like we would rally in the 7th and last inning but was not ment to be. We lost 7-4. But thats alright, its a great time to go back and see everyone that we played with. My kind of reunion!

1 comment: